Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's like baseball.. but it's cricket.


Today was a pretty fun day! First I went to Jewelry Making class and we started our first project - rings! I feel like I don't know what's going on all the time but I watch everyone else and eventually figure it out. The entire class is also very helpful in explaining to me, very slowly, the next steps in the ring making process! Today we measured out the silver and melted it together first. Then cooled it, heated it up again (not sure why!) and polished it. Some of the class started flattening their pieces, but I'll get to that on Monday! After Jewelry I needed to go buy a book for Spanish class but instead of having it in the bookstore on campus, I was supposed to go to the bookstore in the mall. Mall, OK! I fully believe in retail therapy. My friend Becca and I made our way to the mall this afternoon, only to find out that the store didn't have the book! How rude! However, I did find an adventure store and was able to buy rope for my climbing class! One thing off the checklist. After this we had lunch; I had BK! And I noticed just how many people were in the mall. I was amazed! And this mall was SO NICE! I think that when coming to a country in South America everyone imagines poverty, but that is not the case in many parts of Quito!

After the mall we headed over to Parque La Carolina and found a cricket game to watch! We weren't entirely sure what was happening at first, this being our first cricket experience, and I'm sure we looked confused! One of the players came over and asked us where we were from. "Estados Unidos" we said, and he then started explaining some of the rules to us! We learned how the point system worked, what the three sticks were for (I think those are called stumps?), and that the two teams playing were Indian and Pakistani. It was really interesting and I am so thankful that he took the time to explain it to us! I was even more excited that I understood almost everything he was saying!

So that was today! Classes have been fairly uneventful, but I have noticed a few other neat things about the city and living in Ecuador:

1.) I really enjoy seeing Ecuadorians wear American sports team shirts. Today I saw a "Chicago Bears" sweatshirt. Yes, I thought of you Amanda (:
2.) Everything in Quito is either uphill or downhill.
3.) The have LOTS of markets! I went to one on Sunday and bought a purse for $5.00!
4.) I feel like I'm going to tear my rotator cuff when I'm riding the bus through the mountains and don't get a seat :(
5.) Hugo (my older brother) plays "Love You Like a Love Song" by Selena Gomez every morning.
6.) I have to carry my backpack in front of me when I'm on the bus so no one steals my stuff and it reminds me of that scene in "10 Things I Hate About You." I hope you know what I'm talking about. If not, Google it?
7.) I found out that 20% of Ecuadorians are unemployed and 44% have "temporary" employment. I think that selling oranges and flowers on the street qualifies as "temporary" employment. That means that 64% of the country doesn't have a stable income. Now aren't you glad you live in America?
8.) You can buy one cigarette on the street. Just one.
9.) Military men guard the parks - in large groups with guns and batons. Scary!
10.) They have really great pancakes here and they are always accompanied by Aunt Jemima's maple syrup!

This weekend I am climbing Mount Quilotoa with my Andinismo class! We leave early Saturday morning and get back to Quito sometime Sunday afternoon. I'm excited for the climb and to see the beautiful lake at the top of the mountain!

Hope all is well!
Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment