Monday, October 17, 2011

That's what he said...

I spent this weekend exploring Quito! I've realized that throughout my time in Ecuador, I have been travelling quite frequently and haven't really had a chance to visit the city I've been living in for the past 2 months.

I went to the "Museo Nacional" and spent a few hours looking at all of the artifacts, archaeological finds, and works of art; some even date back to 11,000 B.C.! I was able to see the lifestyles of the pre-Columbian and pre-Incans and also look at more contemporary Ecuadorian art! I followed a Spanish tour around for about an hour and spent the rest of my time wandering around without the group! This museum was also free! I think it may always be free on Saturdays, but I couldn't understand her reasoning when she was trying to explain to me. I'd like to go back though, so figure it out then!



 I then spent some time in the Iglesia de San Francisco. The Spanish began construction here 1 month after they arrived in Ecuador in 1535 and it took 100 years to finish. Two interesting facts about this church, 1.) The church was built over an Incan temple, making it stand much higher than the plaza in front of it. 2.) The stairs to the church were purposefully made wide so that you would have to keep your eyes on where you were walking - otherwise, forcing you to bow your head in respect while coming into the church.



My friend Julia and I then went to el Panecillo de Virgen. Standing at 148ft., you can see the Virgen de Quito statue from most of the city, on a clear day. The hill that the statue stands on, el Panecillo, was used by the Inca's as a place of worship to the sun. From the top of the hill, we had wonderful views of Quito!

Until next time,
kelley

2 comments:

  1. The streets look really straight and evenly placed in that picture! Are all the streets set up that way or does it just look like that in the picture? And can you see your host family's house from there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of the streets are set up like that, yes! And no.. my host families house is to the right of the picture!

    ReplyDelete