Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mariposa Traicionera



Here is a very popular song in Quito! Enjoy!
Ven Conmigo


This weekend I am going to the beach in Puerto Lopez, one of the best places for whale watching in South America. Can't wait to feel my toes in the sand and hopefully see a Humpback whale!




Interesting facts from this week:
1.) I found out that my entire host family is left-handed!
2.) I started "Conversation Club" this week and really enjoyed it! The native student I am meeting with doesn't know much English, which works well for me. This provides me with a greater opportunity to speak Spanish and to see how I like teaching ESL!
3.) I got a personal pan pepperoni pizza and a chocolate milkshake for $3.00 at a restaurant across the street from school!
4.) I really enjoy my Spanish class. There are students from Sweden, Switzerland, Nigeria, China, Pakistan, and the US in one room trying to improve our Spanish and learn more about the country we're living in for the next three months. Our teacher is fantastic and we always leave class laughing about something! This week we listened to a lovely song called, "Mariposa Traicionera." That translates as "unfaithful butterfly." Classic.
5.) I brought a few different colors of nail polish with me, thinking it would give me something to do when I got bored. My host mom is always so surprised every week when I tell her I did them myself. I'm thinking I could open a "USA NAILS" here and it would be authentic!
6.) There are lots of traffic problems in Quito. They have attempted to solve this problem by only allowing certain cars into sections of the city during assigned days. Each car is given a bumper sticker with a number on it. You are only allowed to be in these heavily traveled areas of the city if you have the number on your car that corresponds to the allowed day and time of the week! And if you are in the city when you aren't supposed to be, you get an $80 ticket! Crazy, right? Too bad many families have more than one car, and can just take a different car with another number. For example, my host family has four cars and a motorcycle. If they needed to get to that part of the city by car, they could most likely do it.
7.) I really miss milk.
8.) Everyone here that you see, whether it be in your building, on the bus, or in the store, always says "Buenos dias/tardes/noches." They're so nice!
9.) I have orientation on Monday for my trip to the Tiputini Biodiversity Station in the Amazon! And we leave for the trip on Friday morning!

Have a great weekend!
Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment