Monday, September 26, 2011

Puerto Lopez

This weekend I was able to go to Puerto Lopez, a small town on the coast of Ecuador with my friends Becca and Sara. It was absolutely wonderful! We arrived Saturday morning, after a very long bus ride from Quito, to hop in a small buggy and eventually get signed up for a whale-watching tour! It was $20 for a couple hours spent watching the whales and then snorkeling after!
Not the greatest video, but an attempt to capture the Humpback whales in the Pacific Ocean! Our tour was following two males and one female whale for about 2 hours around a smaller island. We were able to go onto the sundeck of the boat and watch, which was a great experience, although I was a little close to falling off once! I not only had a great view of the whales, but I had an excellent view of the coast and the beautiful blue ocean!
After whale watching we decided to go grab a bite at a restaurant on the beach. A girl we met, Emily, joined us for a late lunch and she told us that she had been traveling for two months in South America by herself, and she was finally headed back to the States this week. Way to go Emily! How amazing that she did all of that traveling by herself? After eating Emily went on to the bus station and we went swimming! The water felt AMAZING and I loved every minute of being there. Later on in the evening we met up with our two friends from whale watching, Ky and Ben, to play some hacky sack on the beach. They had been in Ecuador about two weeks, and are taking the year off from college in California to surf and travel around South America. It's really quite inspiring to meet people like this. Whenever I doubt my ability to travel, I look back to all of the other people I've met along my way here and know that if they can do, I can too!

Overall, great weekend trip!
-Kelley


Oh and a word of advice -
If you go snorkeling and don't put sunscreen on your back, it will get burnt.



No comments:

Post a Comment