Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mitad del Mundo

This weekend I was able to go to "Mitad del Mundo" which means "Middle of the World" in Spanish - aka, I went to the Equator! We first went to the Mitad del Mundo monument and learned that in the mid-1700's a French expedition came to Ecuador to mark the exact location of the middle of the Earth.

Turns out they were about 300m off but for having zero technology, they were really close! Rebecca and I then went to the REAL equator, a short walk down the road! They also had a museum and lots of interesting activities. The guides showed us water going down a sink in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, as well as in the middle! Que chevere! (Middle, Northern, Southern)

Neat, right?

P.S.
1.) You weigh a kilogram less while standing on the equator.
2.) Even though I was at the Equator, I still couldn't manage to balance an egg on a nail.
3.) Getting anywhere by bus will always take you at least an hour longer.
4.) When traveling by bus, make sure you ALAWYS note what stop you start at; this makes getting off later much easier (:
5.)  It seems as though the "rainy season" is now in full force. We were introduced on Friday when I walked home in the rain for twenty minutes. When I finally got home Gina said, "Why didn't you take a jacket?" I hadn't thought of that!
6.) I find lots of humor in the things some guys say here. Friday I got, "Taxi, mi amor?" from a man who was not in a taxi at all. I think I'll pass, mi amor.
7.) This week starts "Conversation Club!" That's right, I'm joining a club! (Too bad they don't have something like BAC here!) Twice a week I'll be meeting with a native Spanish speaker at USFQ; Rigoberto will be practicing his English while I work on Spanish!


Love you all,
Kelley

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed watching the videos of the water draining. After, I had to go check my sink. Thanks for the lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete